Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I'm a star



I recently posed for a friend, Sangram Majumdar, for a painting in his show at Steven Harvey Fine Art Projects. It's one of the main paintings in the show. Having painted so many people it was nice to be on the other end of the process. What was the strangest thing to me wasn't seeing the painting (and I think it's a fantastic painting) in it's finished state but rather seeing how it changed from session to session. He took the painting in very unexpected directions and that is what was so interesting to me. The process was great and I hope to write about it too. I photographed the painting in each of its different states. Sangram projected a space - my wife's aunt and uncle's stair case near Orleans, France - onto me and the wall behind me and even had a door open behind me which made the space even more complex but edited much of that out. You can still see the door handle. The painting has already sold which is a little sad to me as I like it but hopefully it will end up in a public collection.

No comments: