Friday, September 24, 2010

A very late update

As many of you may already know, I spent a couple of months in London. I was really lucky to be able to visit a ton of museums with my son and a ton of galleries. Having lived there 18 years ago, it was really a wonderful experience to see it with new eyes. My previous experience of living London let avoid doing the things that first time visitors often feel the need to do. This let me really focus on seeing a lot of artwork and researching the things that I saw. I have written more articles for Painting Perceptions about artists that I saw there (Judith Green and there will be more to come) and about the history of painting in the UK post World War II Slade School of Art part 1 and Slade School of Art part 2).

My son the critic, didn't think much of the artwork at the Tate Modern - the best piece in the museum according to his taste was the barrier to a sculpture which I've forgotten about.

Despite my encouragement, he also didn't seem to think much Frank Auerbach's drawings at the National Gallery.

But he did seem to really enjoy the Constable room at the Tate Britain - or at least running around the room and being a boy he really loved the jet fighter by Fiona Banner as well.

5 comments:

ti-igra said...

Hello, Neil!!! So nice to hear you!
Today I was in your blog, mention of you :-) and here - your new message! Urra! Your son is so grown up, though recently he was so small, and now walks with you in museums of London! Wonderful!
My congratulations and wish you inspiration!
While I only dream to visit London ...

Larry Groff said...

Your son looks adorable, no wonder you got such warm receptions at the galleries - probably the high point of their day. The Auerbach drawing in the photo must have been nice to see. Look forward to seeing more photos!
Welcome Home...

Neil Plotkin said...

Ti-igra - very nice to hear from you! i've been looking at your blog a lot and am really impressed with the drawings in particular. My son is getting bigger and now walks - museums and galleries are now much more work than a few months ago. I have to be ready to run to stop him from touching things. London has great artwork but go to Paris or Florence first. I know the articles may be a bit tough for your translation engine but the blog (PaintingPerceptions.com)is really a great one.
Larry - We have to use the tools God has given us ;-)

I've cleaned up some of the Auerbach images and despite what my son thought they're really beautiful.

ti-igra said...

Thank you, Neil! Pleasant words :-)
Translate for me it is much easier then make the sentences :-)))
I'm going to read everything and look at this site, thanks for sharing with me and I wish you and your sun (son) - nice walk and have a merry mood :-)

Anonymous said...

nice work plopkin
i have been studying up

DrK